Saturday, September 20, 2014

Lionel's Monologue


I missed my dad; I hated it when he was not around. I was always surrounded by mom and those maids. I ran away all the time because I felt different then everyone else, I felt like I didn’t belong. My mom never understood me and those maids, oh those maids were so mean. That one day when they called my dad a “big -- sloppy – kike,” I needed to escape. I was so upset when she said that. I always ran away but this time I went to the dingy. The dingy reminded me of my dad. It was where I could go to get closer to him. In the dingy I could be myself, I didn’t have to be surrounded by the maids or mom, I felt normal and happy in that dinghy. I would hang onto the tiller and pretend be the driver, that’s what I wanted to be when I grew up, a boat driver and in that dingy I could be that! But of course, my mom had to come over and ruin my happiness. She always was doing that. She wanted to know why I always ran away, but I wouldn’t tell her. You want to know why? Because she wouldn’t understand, she never understood. All I wanted was to see my daddy, because just as the dinghy made me feel safe, so did daddy. I wanted to see him so badly, he was the one who always made me happy, the one who I felt like I could be myself with. Mom promised we would go and pick him up from the station that day, but we never did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment