Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bell Jar Soundtrack

Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath soundtrack:

1. Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. This song sings about a post-apocalyptic world that has to embrace change and the feelings that come with it (like depression). The sad lyrics and tone of the song makes it good for a story about battling mental illness.

2. Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. This song has such a sad tone and melody that makes it perfect for the sad parts of The Bell Jar. Some of the lyrics talking about the narrator bleeding to know they are alive which goes along with Esther's cutting and suicidal state. 

3. Some Nights by FUN. The theme throughout this song is "Who am I and is what I just did worth it?". I think this represents Esther very well as she struggles to find out who she is and who she wants to be, especially after her suicide attempt lands her in an asylum. 

4. Demons by Imagine Dragons. This song is about battling various forms of mental illness, from being an abuse victim to eating disorders and suicide. This fits with The Bell Jar perfectly because the people Esther shares the asylum with are also battling mental illness, the "Demons" in their lives.

5. Misery by Maroon 5. Although this song sounds upbeat and happy, it is just the opposite. Some of the lyrics of the song describe what Esther goes through, such as "Sometimes these cuts are so much deeper than they seem/You'd rather cover up/I'd rather let them bleed/So let me be me/And I'll set you free/I am in misery/There ain't nobody who can comfort me."

6. Stay With Me by Sam Smith. This song highlights a person who is down on their self, just like Esther. It is a cry for help, which goes with the theme of desperately needing assistance like Esther.





No comments:

Post a Comment