Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Down at the Dinghy" Monologue

Emma Fisher

Monologue: Lionel


   I remember the first time my mother seemed interested in my life.  Usually her and Daddy had kept to themselves, and didn't pay much attention to me.  That's why I ran away a lot.  I felt neglected all the time, so I'd try to get their attention.  That wasn't all though.  Sometimes the littlest things would scare me, and I'd just have to leave.  It was pretty unexplainable, and to this day I still don't completely know why I used to do that. Alls I knew at the time was that I was different, and according to other kids, that wasn't good.  This day had been different than any other though. I had been hanging around the dinghy, my sanctuary of safety and secureness. That was the one place I felt in control, and like I was connected to the world. That day, I was upset because I overheard negative talk about Daddy.  I remember my mother approaching me, trying to ask me questions.  Out of nowhere, she tried to enter the boat. My boat. At first I felt so angry that she thought she could just barge into my fortress, but now that I think of it, it was kind of nice that she wanted to be apart of what I was doing.  It had been awhile since she acted like a good mother, and it was nice to see that side of her. Anyways, I tried to avoid eye contact with her because I had still been upset, and did not want to give her my full attention.  I even chose to throw the keychain she gave me into the water.  I know I shouldn't have done that, and I still feel bad for it today.  My mother was only trying to reach out to me and I literally threw her gesture away.  Now that I think of it, it was kind of funny. Our roles were basically reversed.  Instead of me being neglected, I chose to neglect her.  Anyways, after a long time, I finally let all my feelings out. I allowed her onto my boat, and into my arms.  I felt like her son again, and it was amazing.  I just let go of all the grudges I was holding against her, and let her enter my life.  It was like we became mother and son again!  Although, for a second it seemed like my mother wanted to take our relationship even further when she "tucked in my shirt".  I was pretty surprised and shocked at first, but now I think my assumption was completely wrong.  She is my mother after all, so to think such as thing would've been insane.  Anyways, the day ended on a positive note.  I mean, I had finally got to be with Daddy and Mother on the boat, at the same time.  It was just like old memories, the ones with the three of us together.  A few days before, something like that would've appearred impossible, based on the tensity in their relationship.  After that, I was not even sure if that existed anymore!  I know I will always remember that day. It was the time I finally felt like we were somewhat connected again.

No comments:

Post a Comment