Monday, March 23, 2015

How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America

I have to say I really liked this story.

Brandon tells his own story about growing up as a black man in the south. It was interesting to hear the story from a 1st person POV. It made the story feel more raw and true, and allows the listener to connect to the teller. Because Brandon is telling his own story, it sounds more informal and less like a narration from an audiobook, which is not a bad thing. I think the informal tone kept my interest. Brandon was also good at changing his pace, and adding dramatic pauses to build suspense.

The story itself was very interesting. Brandon makes the point of establishing that his story is just a jumbled mess of his emotions and experiences, and he couldn't possibly form an inspiring, coherent social justice statement within 30 minutes. One thing that I liked from his narration is when he'd have a time lapse, he'd say, " I was ___ years old, 2 years older than [insert black victim of police shooting] when they were shot. It was a small, yet powerful touch. 

I'm not sure if I have digested the whole "killing yourself slowly" that Brandon focused on. It's definitely something to think about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment